As an entrepreneur getting stuck in a routine can be very easy. As an entrepreneur, if you choose to grow, you have to challenge yourself. It may be trying something you’ve never done before or something that’s never even been done in your industry, every conscious step out of your comfort zone will help you to move forward. When’s the last time you stepped out of your comfort zone and took on a new challenge?
If you choose to be innovative you need to step out of your comfort zone. Being stuck on one particular task slowly but surely would begin to affect your creativity. To be more creative, you have to engage in a new set of activities, see things in a new way, put pieces together in a new manner. One thing holding most entrepreneurs back is “fear”. Fear of the unknown, what-ifs, and the likes. You need to overcome your fear of the unknown and move.
Below are ways you can step out of your comfort zone:
1. Do it on a regular basis: Remaining in your comfort zone can be draining, so to get comfortable with being uncomfortable, you need to step out of your comfort zone as often as you can. After some time your mind would begin to get comfortable with the idea of trying out new things, slowly you would begin to stop avoiding it, and you’re going to say yes to new challenges.
2. Start small: Now, I am not implying that you pause everything you ordinarily do to move out of your comfort zone. Take it a day at a time, start with small steps. Do something that can help you slowly move out of your comfort, pick up on a new hobby, or moving your desk to a different location. These small activities can help you to get comfortable with the discomfort that comes from trying something new.
3. Reinterpret your fear: To overcome your fears, it is advisable to channel that fear into something new and productive, turn your fears into an opportunity, and one that drives you with the feeling of excitement. When viewed in this positive light, those butterflies in your stomach will soon be seen as welcoming rather than something that you seek to avoid.
4. Look for a challenge: Engaging in something challenging provides you with a different view and makes you more receptive to change. Deciding to take on challenging opportunities, you experience an adrenaline rush and often feel recharged afterward and slowly you begin to believe in yourself and your capabilities.
5. Plan Accordingly: Plot your schedule and set a date for when you want to run your business full-time. Setting milestones will help you focus on specific goals, and in the long run, enable you to accomplish your business targets more effectively.
Deciding to move from your comfort zone will take a great deal of determination and motivation. Once you make the decision, you must fully commit to it. Regardless of initial disappointments and fear of starting something new, you must continue to focus on the end goal.