If you want to lead people to a course, you need to have a clear vision on how you attain to project yourself and the team to achieve that goal. Great leaders must have a vision and the vision of a leader should go beyond written organizational mission statements and vision statements.
The vision of a leader has to be inherent, greater than the obvious, very powerful that it begins to sound unbelievable. Vision is an intangible but critical asset for a leader to drive high performance.
The vision of leadership permeates the workplace and is manifested in the actions, beliefs, values, and goals of the organization’s leaders. This vision attracts and affects every employee who is engaged in living this set of actions, beliefs, values, and goals. They want to share your vision.
Why Is Leadership Vision Important?
1. Vision sets a path towards a destination: As a leader, you need to have a clear view of the path where your company or team is headed, you have to look forward. This is pivotal because you would have calculated all challenges before they happen and avert catastrophe. As a leader, having a vision keeps you on course during stormy waters or unexpected setbacks.
It is always advisable to have a clear path envisioned or a plan to succeeding in your business. This is very valuable as most leaders make this avoidable mistake by not having a path or a plan before embarking on a project.
2. Vision drives and motivates to continue pushing: Leaders without a clear vision or purpose often require lots of external motivation to keep moving forward. Leaders need to have a clear picture of the end results. As a leader, having a strong vision is essential as this is what pushes you to the end. If this is lacking, goals would be stopped short or not seen through.
3. Vision helps to keep moving forward and sail through rocky waters: Minor setbacks and hurdles tend to appear small or inconsequential if a leader has a strong vision. They would sail through them and persist to the end, learning at each step of the way. Vision helps leaders to be persistent.
4. Vision provides focus: With the distractions that come with life and business management, having a vision would help your leadership by keeping your eyes on the end goal providing you with the much-needed focus to accomplish your goals.
Vision keeps you on track by helping you work on what is important to achieving the desired end success. It helps leaders to focus on the 20% that is important instead of the remaining 80% that can be delegated and handled by others.
5. Vision provides meaning and creates a sense of purpose to what we do: As a leader, it will help you to see the end result of your efforts. It will give you your “why?” and the reason that you are doing what you do.
Great leaders use vision as a tool to inspire and motivate, not to dictate. A vision has to be a set goal which is carved, which encompasses values and morals, that seems unrealistic but that is yet anchored in reality.